KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

My daughter and her fiancee are separating and are having issues

Customer Question

My daughter and her fiancee are separating and are having issues right now with a pet. She had a dog who was previously hers before the engagement accidentally killed by her fiancees negligence. He paid for a new dog with cash to replace the existing dog. They have since broken off the engagement. He says the new dog is his because he registered her with the AKC unbeknownst to her. That is the only paper trail he would have. Since he caused my daughters dog death and since she is claimed property, wouldn''t he have to replace that property and it is now hers?
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 6 months ago.
Good morning. Yes your daughter has an action against him for the value of the dog. She would have to prove that he caused the death of the dog, and prove it, with some evidence. With regards ***** ***** new dog, registration does show ownership, however, she could also sue for 1/2 of the value of the new dog, if she could show that the dog was both of theirs during their relationship. The evidence she could use is emails, texts, letters, and photographs. I hope this helps with your question.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 6 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just ask. if not please rate the question for credit and tracking.