Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

I think that my adult sister is an addict and her life is in

Customer Question

I think that my adult sister is an addict and her life is in danger. She has a husband. Is there anything in IL that family (mom, dad, sibling) can do to get her under care without consent?
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Just starting the process
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: No. Her weight has been on a steady decline and she doesn't look like she has much time left, but feels fine and doesn't want care
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 5 months ago.
Hello, Every state has a provision for involuntary emergency civil commitment. This can be done by court order or initiated by any peace officer. The family can, therefore, contact your sister's local police and tell them that your sister is a danger to herself or others and that you fear for her life. The police can bring her to a psychiatric facility where she can be held for 72 hours and evaluated. The authorization for that in Illinois is found in the following statutes: 405 ILL. COMP. STAT. 5/3-701(a), 5/3-751(a), 5/3-601(a), 5/3-606, 5/3-607 If it is found that she is indeed a danger to herself, they can keep her beyond the evaluation period and treat her, or they can release her with a referral to a program, depending upon what their evaluation deems best.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 5 months ago.
Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.