Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

Small claims advice. Person borrowed money last year. Says

Customer Question

Small claims advice. Person borrowed money last year. Says she will not repay. She moved to Gresham, Or last week. Can I have her served in Or for my claim here in Vancouver?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 9 months ago.
The loan was initiated in Vancouver, which if memory serves me is in Canada, or at least it was when I visited there. Unless Canada has some "long arm" jurisdiction laws that would apply to someone moving from there to the US, you will have to bring suit against her in small claims court in Oregon where she now lives. The best thing for you to do is check with a Vancouver collection firm to see what your best course of action is. They most likely have US firms in Washington and Oregon that they correspond and refer cases to. It's very possible that they will be able to handle it for you in the US.