Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

In Maryland:Looking to confirm information I got from an

Customer Question

In Maryland:Looking to confirm information I got from an attorney: Upon request to Defendant's attorney, am I entitled to most recent home addresses for Defendant's ex-employee witnesses (not Parties) for subpoena purposes even if I would have to propound the depositions through Defendant's attorney? (the addresses could be needed by me to search for the witnesses current locations)
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. You would typically be entitled to their addresses in discovery. While there are certainly some instances where a court may restrict the information, as a general rule you can get their contact info.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for answering. Actually, you are the attorney whose information I was trying to confirm. Although I am not dissatisfied with your response to that question, I need to have another attorney there confirm your opinion. I need this because I am drafting a request for reconsideration on this issue and I want to make sure I am correct in my assertions that I originally drafted with your opinion in mind.
Justanswer's page on getting another opinion says that you can facilitate this for me. Would you please do that, shift me to another attorney, at least temporarily, so I can have extra assurance that I'm not asserting something that is incorrect.? Thank you...
I'll opt out. No problem. I don't show an earlier question from you on your history.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
does this mean I need to put the question back up on the site?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a different contributor.
You have to serve the ex employee's attorney because the attorney represents that defendant and these people were employees at the time and as such he represents them. In your requests for discovery you sent to them through their attorney you would be entitled to ask in that discovery for their home address as part of discovery.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I haven't heard yet from another atty but I came across this and wanted to ask you what "solely for impeachment" means vis a vis ex-employee witnesses:Federal rule: ...a party must, without awaiting a discovery request, provide to the other parties: (i) the name and, if known, the address and telephone number of each individual likely to have discoverable information—along with the subjects of that information—that the disclosing party may use to support its claims…unless the use would be solely for impeachment[
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
oh, I see you are 'different contributor,' could you answer about impeachment please? thanks
Thank you for your reply.
Under the rules they will disclose information, but if these people were employees of the defendant, then they come under the defendant's counsel. So the requests for their addresses have to go through the counsel for the defendant and if he does not provide them in response to your discovery request, then you can do the motion to compel.
Impeachment is a witness who is used only to rebut the evidence submitted by a party.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thank you, ***** ***** counts
PS, I'm a little confused because if you are a different contributor, your messages are coming up in the window of "Law Educator, Esq."
What is your 'handle' please
and, thanks again
Thank you for your reply.
The first contributor was Dwayne B., he was the one who opted out.