Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

We bought our property in 2011. The adjoining vacant lot is

Customer Question

We bought our property in 2011. The adjoining vacant lot is a tax title property owned by the county. We have tried to purchase the property from the county and been told we couldn't buy it. We have used the vacant lot as if it was ours since 2011. The county had full knowledge that we were doing so and never said a word about it. Then out of the blue the they send a letter telling us we have until the 11th of May to remove anything we have on the property even the sani can. If we don't comply they will charge us with trespass and prosecute to the full extent of the law. We do have an easement through the property which is our driveway.We are 2 years away from adverse possession. We have been unable to pay any taxes as none are due because being county owned it is exempt. We are the only ones who could benefit by owning the property. Its not an asset to the county because of location. We have the money to pay the taxes that would have accrued since 2011 along with the fees the county would charge. We are going to start by filing an injunction with the courts but what is the next step and is there a solution to this problem. We feel they are being unfair and discriminating against us by not selling it to us.
Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to hep you today. You can try the injunction and forcing them to sell it to you through civil suit.You cannot claim legal title yet under adverse possession.You hope they decide to sell it to you by such action and prevail here.This would be your only recourse to try and force some action by the county.Otherwise they are trying to reassert control over it and interrupt your claim.
Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.
Hi rlwenner,First, here is the Washington Code:In Washington State, the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) 7.28.070 defines adverse possession as “Every person in actual, open and notorious possession of lands or tenements under claim and color of title, made in good faith, and who shall for seven successive years continue in possession, and shall also during said time pay all taxes legally assessed on such lands or tenements, shall be held and adjudged to be the legal owner of said lands or tenements, to the extent and according to the purport of his or her paper title. All persons holding under such possession, by purchase, devise or descent, before said seven years shall have expired, and who shall continue such possession and continue to pay the taxes as aforesaid, so as to complete the possession and payment of taxes for the term aforesaid, shall be entitled to the benefit of this section.” Thanks again.
Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't think they are trying to stop an adverse possession claim. The community we live in is messed up and corrupt. Local law acts on hear say and there are busy bodies that spread rumors that just aren't true, and since they have no legal means to back up their act they try to create reason for the harassment they bring. So the county worker and local law work together to make havoc and cause situations They have accused us of all kinds of unlawful acts which that is all they can do is accuse because we are innocent of what they say. They cant obtain a warrant as they have no proof. They have accused of drug activity and even gone as far as to say prostitution. Honestly none of these things are true. We cause no problems and about the only thing we do is have friends that stop by and my children come up daily to check on me as I have a serious health problem that is terminal. So there is a little more traffic than normal but it certainly isn't drug traffic. This all stems from 2 busy body old ladies that live such miserable lives them selves that they want every one else to be unhappy as they are. They call and complain daily. Common sense would tell the law they just causing trouble or they could prove the things they say. They just keep responding to the calls. This is not only us there are others they harass also. That is why we cant get the county to sell to us, and now forcing us to move everything is just a way of harassment. I know this sounds crazy but I have tried to explain this complicated situation and hope you can see what I am saying. We have a civil case I am sure but how do we get started? It has even gone as far as someone making little flyers advertising drug sales and passing them around. Until we received the letter from the county we just ignored the games but trespassing is a crime and then again why didn't they care before if we used the property. Its been 5 years.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
cant tell if you received my last reply
Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.
I agree they have not been straight with you here over the years.You may certainly write them with bonafide offer to purchase the land or sue for an injunction as you state.I am not sure at all why they are avoiding a legitimate offer here. I appreciate the follow up.Thanks for your patience.