Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I was shopping at the local Home Depot. I grabbed a laser from

Customer Question

I was shopping at the local Home Depot. I grabbed a laser from the
Bin with several open items. I put
It in its nylon case and looped my belt and continued to shop. I approachedthe section with an assortment of laser products. I
Opened the laser distance measurement device. I installed the batteries that were supplied with the product. It was considerbly smaller my laser so I
Checked out and put it In the pocket of my T shirt pocket and proceeded to shop. I came across
A shopping cart and put my items
In it. I left the laser in my pocket
Along with the other laser in its
Case on my belt. 3 people approached me. (Security) they told me to come with them stating
That i stole the laser in my T shirt.
They said that it is illegal to conceal an item and accused me of shoplifting. I told that I was buying it along with the one on my belt. They said there are cameras and I took the laser out
Of the package and concealed it
With the intent to steal it.
I told him that I planned to buy both lasers. I was still shopping when approached. The laser was
Not concealed. It was in my t shirt
Pocket and clearly visible.
I am involved with a considerable
Amount of work. I spent a lot of money with this store. They approached why I was shopping
And took me in the office. A local police officer pulled up issued a summons fingerprinted me released me with a summons for
Shoplifting
As I previously stated the laser in my t shirt was not concealed and I was shopping. I understand that
Leaving the packaging could indicate intent but I did not conceal it. I am aware that there are
Cameras and that was not concerned because I planned on paying.Security was doing there job but I was wrongly accused and arrested. Based on the fact that the laser was visible and there was well over $100 worth of merchidise in my cart
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 months ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to helpAlso, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen. I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?