Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Does it matter if I was late and behind on rent

Customer Question

Does it matter if I was late and behind on rent for the month prior but current with a $0 balance remaining for the present month in which I was asked by the owner/landlord to move out minutes after i asked for repairs due to health and safety reasons? Then in court documents she the landlord states that we are the reason why she has to sell the duplex because of our late rent payments. Our family name and individual names were slandered from all the false accusations landlord made against us. My kids were placed blame upon for the one MAIN repair I requested due to health reasons (kids have asthma, smoke from local wild fires consumed the air outdoors and our cieling fan didn't work due to motor going out, which is what the landlord told us was the reason 1 year prior to my maintenance request for cieling fan) she stated to court that my kid must have hung from cieling fan while it was on and spinning because she herself asked a lowes store employee (lowes) how a motor could go out and that employee said to her that a kid hanging from it while on is the only way that's possible...
Could I counter sue and possibly win??
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 10 months ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to helpAlso, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen. I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. What do you mean by was late and behind on rent for the month prior but current with a $0 balance remaining for the present monthDO you owe money to the landlord?