Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I am a uber driver. I recently called GEICO to see if they

Customer Question

I am a uber driver. I recently called GEICO to see if they offered ride share insurance on another vehicle. They said no so I hung up. Today I got a letter from GEICO stating they where dropping my coverage because the insured car was used for rideshare. When I called them they told me that even though I said I didn't use it for that purpose they said there was that potential. So because I have a particular job they will deny me coverage. I have been a customer for 7 years. I feel this is discrimination against me for the job that I have. Is there basis here to claim discrimination?
Thank you,
Mark Albright
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, there is only legally actionable discrimination if something is done based solely on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin. The insurer has a right to decide who to insure or not and if they believe ride sharing may be occurring, they can deny coverage or make you get a commercial policy which would cover transporting people in the car. It would not be unlawful though for them to cancel your policy for suspicion of ride sharing and if you read your policy it would have a clause in there about using the vehicle for commercial purposes (which would encompass ride sharing) and as long as they provided notice they are within their rights.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for your answer but it's not helpful. Uber is designed on a car specific platform. Therefore if a rider request a ride a specific car make and color must show up. They're potential theory is mute. I think you looked at this situation on the surface and passed it off without giving any thought or research to it.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't want to be a member. How do I cancel my member so I don't get billed any more and get a refund of my 47 dollars because your answer was useless. It said if not satisfied you would refund my money and that's what I expect. I'll be watching my bank statement for the refund.