Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

My brother owns a home. He is 66. No mortgage. He is

Customer Question

My brother owns a home. He is 66. No mortgage. He is mentally and physically disabled. He has FTD (frontotemporal degeneration) and hydrocephalus (water on the brain). Right now he can stay on his own with health care workers and friends coming in daily. I understand there's a trust that I can put his house in where the government or any future nursing home can't get at it. We want to keep the home in the family. Does this trust only pertain to a husband and wife or can it be with a sibling? I also have POA.
Expert:  Ray replied 7 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today. A Special Needs Trust can be set up for your brother.The Trust can hold legal title to the property here . http://specialneeds-law.com/special-needs-trusts/ Here in MA Special needs Trust is a trust designed for beneficiaries who are disabled like your brother physically or mentally. It is written so the beneficiary can enjoy the use of property that is held in the trust for his or her benefit, while at the same time allowing the beneficiary to receive essential needs-based government benefits.
Expert:  Ray replied 7 months ago.
You want a NAELA lawyer, National Academy of Elder Lawyers they specialize in just this situation, you can locate one here locally. https://www.naela.org/Public/About_NAELA/Public_or_Consumer/Find_an_Elder_Lawyer/Find_an_Elder_Lawyer.aspx I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.
Expert:  Ray replied 7 months ago.
If you can positive rate it is always much appreciated.