Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

I have a question about wage garnishment. If an employer is

Customer Question

I have a question about wage garnishment. If an employer is under court order to garnish wages of an employee what are the legal penalties if they do not garnish the wages? The issue at hand is that the employee is no longer on the payroll and works on a non paid volunteer basis. I am being asked to provide proof of the date of the end of the paid employment which I provided which reflects that last paycheck issued. I filled out their form providing this information & mailed it to them. They do not refer to that in their f/u correspondence. Are there any legal consequences?
Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today. No in this instance since they are not an employee with wages to garnish all you can do is write them again verifying their employment ended whatever date and no wages have been paid after that.You can indicate the person volunteers for no compensation and no wages are paid. You cannot be penalized as they are no longer employed and no wages here to garnish from. I appreciate the chance to help you today.
Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.
If you can positive rate it is always much appreciated.