Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
92304199

I'm in Missouri, is there a law about residency and property

Customer Question

I'm in Missouri, is there a law about residency and property in a house? I lived with a man for 4 years (with him for 8 years), he passed away and his son (power of attorney) claims I should not take anything out of the house that John and I bought together because money spent to buy things such as a lawn mower came from John, which would be his son's inheritance. I understand not removing furniture, ,etc that was purchased before we met, but what about while we were together?
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 7 months ago.
.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. My goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied before you submit your rating so please let me know if you have additional questions or you need me to clarify anything If there is a delay in the time it takes me to respond it is because I am working with a customer or I am not online - but rest assured I will respond to your follow up question, if you have one. Also, occasionally I will respond from a mobile JA unit, which automatically asks you to submit a rating once I submit a response - but please don't feel like you need to do so until we are done speaking. You are well within your rights to take anything that is yours (that you paid for) - though items that were jointly purchased I would not take. I'd wait to determine whether his estate is probated and the like. But please don't let the son bully you into not taking what is yours. Please let me know if you have any other questions or you need me to clarify anything. I'd be happy to do so.
Hello. I wanted to just check in, to see if you needed any additional assistance.