Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience

My son was pursued by the coach of a university and given a

Customer Question

My son was pursued by the coach of a university and given a verbal desire to have him. He was given a three year full scholarship (he is coming from another college where he played for one year). He is 6' 7". Coach played him for a time and began to play him sparingly. He told my son he felt there was a dislike between them. This came a two weeks or so before the school basketball season ended. He told him one week before his exams that he was not going to retain him. This is the first time he is told this and my husband and I was never apprised of any of this by the coach. We sat there as a part of the verbal agreement for my son to play at the school. I feel that we were a part of his commitment to play and should have been consulted of any action regarding the commitment made. We feel that Coach is obligated to honoring his commitment to my son's education. My son is not argumentative, loud, or boisterous.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 5 months ago.
I am sorry to hear this. I think you need to contact the university board to address this. You have a potential lawsuit here but that can be a long and expensive process.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I would hope that your response to my situation is longer and more in-debt than the answer given. "You're sorry and you think I need to contact the University Board to address this. That I have a potential case here"... Sir , I knew that when I corresonded with you - I was looking for a sense of direction and you gave none. Please give more of an answer or I'm forced to take other steps. If this is all you can render, return my money.
I look to hear from you.
Sure. My suggestion would be to schedule a meeting with the President if the University to see if they can intervene. If that fails then there should be a board of trustees or regents who have ultimate authority. At this late juncture another school probably would not admit him and he has foregone other opportunities in reliance on the coach's offer. I am merely saying try to exhaust all administrative remedies before filing a lawsuit.