Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC

I have a contract on a condo in florida. I am supposed to close

Customer Question

I have a contract on a condo in florida. I am supposed to close on monday. I was told by the home owners association yesterday that I can't have a room mate. Can I legally cancel the contract without penalty
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 5 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. My goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied before you submit your rating so please let me know if you have additional questions or you need me to clarify anything If there is a delay in the time it takes me to respond it is because I am working with a customer or I am not online - but rest assured I will respond to your follow up question, if you have one. Also, occasionally I will respond from a mobile JA unit, which automatically asks you to submit a rating once I submit a response - but please don't feel like you need to do so until we are done speaking. Unless there is something you have previously signed with the condo association, in general you can back out of ANY home purchase agreement for just about ANY reason - and this would seem to me to be a significant reason (particularly if cost considerations make having a roommate necessary - and, frankly, even if they don't). Please let me know if you have any other questions or you need me to clarify anything. I'd be happy to do so. I'm also available by phone if that would help you.
Expert:  Attorney2 replied 5 months ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question. Was your contract contingent on your ability to have a roomate?
Hi Denise. I just wanted to follow up with some more help for you... in general, they may attempt to push for "specific performance" which is basically their attempt to *force" you to complete the sale - and that's where it would be important to make clear that you need the roommate if you are to pay the bills. In addition, many condo associations seek to "clear" anyone that's going to be living there, so that's something to take into account if that's an issue for you. But definitely take a look at your contract and if there's anything there that's unclear I'd be happy to help you with it. Please let me know if you have any other questions :)
Hi. I wanted to just check in, to see if you needed any additional assistance.