How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 18084
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have life insurance policies on two of my children and myself.

Customer Question

I have life insurance policies on two of my children and myself. The insurance agent told my ex-husband that I had not paid my premiums and as of date had not changed my beneficiaries from being my ex-husband to someone else. The insurance provides insurance for the family owned company and my ex is the acting general manager/co-owner and this all happened during the course of business while renewing all policies. Do o have a case to file against my ex husband and the company he works for and the insurance company ?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.
I am sorry, but I do not understand your question. Why would you want to file lawsuit against your ex-husband? What did he do that he was not supposed to do? Kindly clarify, Thank you for your cooperation,
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We are divorced and these are my sole life insurance policies. He had no business asking about my polices and the insurance agent had no right to disclose my information and status to my ex-husband. I thought it was illegal to give out personal information. We've been divorced for 5 years. I guess I'm not explaining well enough. A Sentry Insurance agent disclosed my personal sole accounts with my ex husband upon his request. At this rate, if you have a life insurance policy I could ask your agent how much is your policy, are you up to date, who is the beneficiary etc.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for the clarification. The problem is with the agent for violation of your privacy. You can file complaint against the insurance agent with the insurance company that he conducts business with about this misconduct. I am sure that the insurance company will not want him to jeopardize its business by his unethical conduct. If the insurance company fails to resolve the issue to your satisfaction, you can file complaint with your State's Department of Insurance or file lawsuit against the agent for violation of your privacy. Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.

Related Legal Questions