Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.

My apartment manager got angry when I called her to notify

Customer Question

My apartment manager got angry when I called her to notify her that the "repairs" the construction crew were making next to my front door were not a fix but just made it look better she said well maybe I won't renew your lease no you know what I just won't renew you I wasn't going to anyways. So I said I'm going to be evicted because I let you know it wasn't fixed right and suggested she come look at it well she sent the construction crew manager and he said it just needs a few screws so I called back and told her he wasn't fixing it and suggested she come look again so she knew what I was trying to tell her (again) and that is when she angrily said the thing about being renewed
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I thought you could help
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Yes today I called and Connie the manager answered the phone and I said yesterday I was told my front door was going to be fixed and my tub would be recalled and I would get a new air filter she said amanda you were not I told you there was an order put in for you and I said melisa (the assistant manager) told me it would be done yesterday so I was just calling to see if it would be fixed today she said yes so we hung up I forgot to tell her I did not want them to come fix things unless I was there so I called back said this is amanda in apt 415 then said not to come unless I was there said thank you bye and hung up she then call right back it went directly to voice mail so I listen to it and here its her massage word for word "Hi Amanda your in appropriate behavior on the phone will not be tolerated if you continue to call and do what you have been doing I will consider it harassment and have you out of here within the stipulated time thank you"
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.You can not be evicted for demanding the maintenance and repair owed by the landlord in your lease. If they are not complying with their maintenance obligation you can sue them in small claims court.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My question was about being evicted on the grounds that I was harassing her can she just say oh you harassed me without proof and can I be evicted for it? I have her threatening voice mail recorded still
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for following up. Yes, that is what I was trying to say. It is not harassment to demand the landlord meet their legal obligation and they can not evict you for that.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am on disability for back ,ankle ,and panic/anxiety disorder I have lived here this is the 5th year at my apartment on section 8 and I live with the constant worry/anxiety that at the whim of my apartment manager I could be evicted for whatever she wants to say it will be her word against mine what are my options
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
You cannot be evicted unless you have breached the lease. If she tries, you can file a counterclaim for unlawful eviction and retaliatory eviction.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The manager and myself know I was not harassing anyone but she still thinks she can do what she wants
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I live in oklahoma and we have no retaliatory laws
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
You have the law on your side and can sue her if she tries to evict you unlawfully.
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
You can also sue for breach of the lease.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
You said you have a recording.
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
Plus, the burden is on the landlord, not you, to prove their eviction claim.
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes of her telling me she will evict me for harassment wich never happened !
There is no recording of ANY conversation with her so all I have proof of is the notice that if I call back and continue doing what I have been doing she will CONSIDER it harassment so in other words if I call back it is a lease violation simply because she said so this woman is causing me undue stress anxiety and panic
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
Then sue her for breaching the lease.
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
Did you have further questions before you rate my service?
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.