Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I'm deciding between paying hourly- or contingency-based fees

Customer Question

I'm deciding between paying hourly- or contingency-based fees to an attorney. I'd like to propose working on an hourly basis up to a certain amount (cap), and then if/when that maximum is reached, transition to a contingency arrangement. Is this something within reason to propose? See any upside/downsides to it? What do you think?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.
Good afternoon Paul,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am a GA licensed attorney and I have been a contingency law attorney for more than 30 years handling a number of different types of cases---even a few that the fee was structured similar to what you are asking about. This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.1. What is the nature of the case you have?2. How do you envision you will come out ahead by combining a contingent fee with an hourly fee?3. How much are you considering proposing as a cap on hourly fees?4. Are you prepared to offer a sizeable retainer if you reach this kind of a fee arrangement?Thanks in advance,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 months ago.
Hi Paul,I won't be able to assist you if you are not able to provide the minimal information I sought clarification on. Please get back to me with this information at your earliest convenience.Doug