Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

My mother-in-law lives with us and pays us $36,000/yr to take

Customer Question

my mother-in-law lives with us and pays us $36,000/yr to take care of her. do we need to claim this as income?
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney I look forward to assisting you.Yes, that is income to you if she is paying you for her care and must be reported on your tax return. You may be better off if she just gives it to you as a gift. Even though it exceeds the annual amount exemption, if her her estate does not exceed $5.45 million it will not really matter.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Are you online with me?
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.