Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I was in custody overnight and left the next day with staples

Customer Question

I was in custody overnight and left the next day with staples in my head and I am sure I had a seizure. Under the open records act I requested the video and was told directly by sheriff that i would never get the video and it was not my right. The local paper has requested the video 11 times with same response. What do I do?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am sorry to hear about this situation. What someone in your situation wants to do is to file a Writ of Mandamus. A writ of mandamus is a type of writ that asks the Court to order the state/municipal/county agency to turn over whatever they have to under the open records act. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.