Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My dog is being wrongfully accused of being a dangerous dog

Customer Question

My dog is being wrongfully accused of being a dangerous dog which I have a hearing and I was needing help with getting what evidences that's supports their claim.how to i go about getting the discovery or getting help representing him
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to send a written request now for disclosure asking the agency for copies of any reports and statements in their possession about the incident and your dog. You also need to be preparing your own witnesses to bring to the hearing to testify that your dog does not bite unless provoked to do so. You will need to present your own witnesses to counter the claims of the agency that the dog is dangerous based on the conduct they are claiming the dog engaged in.
Under ORC 955.11, (a) "Dangerous dog" means a dog that, without provocation, and subject to division (A)(1)(b) of this section, has done any of the following:
(i) Caused injury, other than killing or serious injury, to any person;
(ii) Killed another dog;
(iii) Been the subject of a third or subsequent violation of division (C) of section 955.22 of the Revised Code (getting loose).
So you have to prove that your dog did not do any of those things to deserve to be declared dangerous.