CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

I bought a motor home in New York State from a private owner

Customer Question

I bought a motor home in New York State from a private owner gave him a Cking for full amount, when I tried to register it his paper work was not up to date & could not register it so I stopped payment, returned his papers, Can he contest my deciicsion
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 5 months ago.
Dear Customer,Yes, he can.While he was in breach of contract by failing to provide you with marketable title, you unilaterally decided to return the papers (and I assume the motor home) to him without giving him the opportunity to cure the defect, or making any demand on him to do so.So while the failure to provide proper documents to you will be a strong defense (and certainly help to mitigate any potential risk that you have), there is a risk that this individual may decide to try to sue you for breach of contract.