P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
11181181

My husband sigh a contract with a contractor roofing

Customer Question

My husband sigh a contract with a contractor for some roofing work but is going to file it through our insurance company. But my husband wants to cancel the contract what right does he have
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: Well this contractor came into our neighbor hood door to door asking if we had storm damage to our roof which we do. My husband sigh a contract which my husband states he signed he rights away what can we do
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: No that is it. He wants to cancel the contract before the insurance company sends the check to the contractor
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 months ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to helpAlso, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen. can you tell me, how long ago did he sign the contract?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Feb 10 2016
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He signed the contract on 2/10/16
THank youI fear it is too late. There is a "3 day right to cancel" for the contract you are describing. So your spouse had the right to cancel this contract, without penalty, during that 3 day window. Since more than 3 days have passed? It is too late to cancel without recourse.If he signed the contract, the roofer can hold him to the contract. Now...if the roofer does not perform as required by the contract ? That could be a basis to cancel the contract. For example, if they promised to have the job done by the end of April and they have not yet started? That could be a basis to void the contract. But if you are asking if he can just cancel because he changed his mind? It is too late for thatThis is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that he can cancel this contract without recourse, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the information
Welcome. Thank you for taking the time to accept the answer, I truly appreciate thatphil