Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

My husband died in 2012 and I am 51 trying to get disability.

Customer Question

My husband died in 2012 and I am 51 trying to get disability. Would I or how do i qualify for spouses benefits?
Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JA.Ray here to help you now. You can getSSSI or SSDI if you are disabled.You draw those from date of application.You can also apply for survivor benefits. Your widow or widowermay be able to get full benefitsat full retirement age. The full retirement age forsurvivors is age 66 for people born in 1945-1956 andwill gradually increase to age 67 for people born in1962 or later. Your widow or widower can get reducedbenefits as early as age 60. If your surviving spouse isdisabled, benefits can begin as early as age 50. If you are found to be disabled you should be able to get survivor benefits now. You would get the larger amount here it is probably the survivor benefits you have to pass the disability requirements. I appreciate the chance to help you .I wish you the best here.