Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I have prostate cancer. I was high risk cancer

Customer Question

I have prostate cancer. I was high risk for prostate cancer secondary to a grandfather who died of the disease. My primary care physician was aware of this risk. Also, the MD was aware that I am a Viet Nam veteran with possible exposure to the cancer causing agent.
I was a patient of this PC physician since I was age 50. All annual physicals he remarked how small and free of nodules the prostate was. I also had no symptoms.
My PSA lab had gradually crept up to 1.23 in 6/8/11 his reaction was the normal report that there was do danger of me having prostate cancer. The MD explained to me in 2012 that Medicare would no longer cover PSA labs, but that the Annual exam was sufficient for assessment. Annual physical 4/16/2014 MD announced that he was allowed to prescribe the PSA lab. Results were 3.41. This clinic uses a scale of 0 to 4 before referral to urology for additional work up. I received a letter suggesting a repeat PSA within 3 to 6 months. There was no urgency PSA was drawn at the 6 month time. Results came back at 3.83. MD ordered me a referral to urology. I have since had a total prostatectomy and have had metastasis to the bone and is classified as incurable. The cancer center gives me 3 years to live. Surgery left me incontinent of urine and unable to have sex. The theraphy to manage this cancer suppresses the testosterone that feeds the cancer. I have been married for 33 years had no problems with sex drive. I also was very physically active, took no medications and had a perfect attendance at work and other activities. In my opinion I think that my PC has negligently miss handled the management of my care of which the only concern I had was assessing my prostate care. I could go on as to why I advise other men now to stay away from the general medical MD for prostate care. The proper MD is the Urologist. Th
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 months ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to helpAlso, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen. I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?