Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

Our dog was being taken care of by one of my employees. While

Customer Question

Our dog was being taken care of by one of my employees. While were gone she volunteered to take care of two other dogs because the owner of the other two dogs were not being taken care of and needed temporary housing. While everyone was out of the house my dog got into a very gruesome dog fight and has now been hospitalized with major trauma since last Saturday night. I don't know the exact breed of the other two dogs, but think they are some kind of pit bull. Do I have any legal recourse against the dogs owner? Should I file a vicious dog report or should I have the owner report this fight?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.
Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. You could have a cause of action against the dog owner even though he put his dogs in the employee's care. This cause of action would be based on a lack of disclosure by the dog owner of the disposition of his dogs. If his dogs had any predisposition to aggressive behavior, either because they were a dangerous breed or had any prior history, then his lack of disclosure would give you a cause of action. Also, you would have a cause of action your employee for negligence in leaving the dogs alone without separating them while she was gone. You should report the accident to animal control for sure. Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!