Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

Please describe the legality of a church organization publishing

Customer Question

Please describe the legality of a church organization publishing a legal notice in a newspaper showing no affiliation between the church and a former minister who left the membership without notice.
Expert:  Legalease replied 8 months ago.
Hello there ---If it is a private organization and he was a private minister for the organization there are no legal problems with the church simply publishing a statement that he is no longer a minister at or affiliated with the church in any way. If you believe that he committed certain indiscretions or infractions while a minister at the church my suggestion is that you do not mention anything of that nature in the article. Even if true, you can open your church up to a charge of defamation. Additionally, if this minister is listed as a charter member or as a board of director or something like that of the church, then you should have a meeting of the board and officially vote him OFF the board so that he cannot claim legal affiliation with the church for financial issues and bank accounts, etc. -Please let me know if you have any further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above so I will be paid for my time assisting you today? I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating above (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right of the middle star). Doing so will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time. After pressing a positive rating, a bonus pop up box will appear and although not required, any bonus is paid directly to the expert without deductions AND is greatly appreciated !! THANK YOU VERY MUCH -
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is a private church, but the minister was issued a permit to do ministry but fail to return the same upon leaving the church, When a letter was sent requesting the permit be returned, the minister fail to reply. So the church wishes to severes the ties indicaring the church will not be responsible for any action od said minister since no longer connected to said church
Hello there ---It is acceptable to name him and the church and simply state that he is no longer affiliated with the church and any permits issued to him have been revoked. -MARY
-Can you please press a positive rating above so I will be paid for my time assisting you today? I am paid nothing for helping with this question unless you press a positive rating above (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right of the middle star). Doing so will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time. After pressing a positive rating, a bonus pop up box will appear and although not required, any bonus is paid directly to the expert without deductions AND is greatly appreciated !! THANK YOU VERY MUCH