Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

Where can I find a grand Jury Transcript form march 1993 Washington

Customer Question

Where can I find a grand Jury Transcript form march 1993 Washington DC I have the Jacket number 1993FEL4073 I will pay to have it sent to me directly
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. There is no one place to find them. First off, I am assuming that it is a federal grand jury but different grand juries use different court reporters and it is the court reporters who keep the recordings and copies, usually, unless they are transcribed. Not all grand juries keep a record of what occurred. The general rule is that grand jury proceedings are secret and so the procedure to get a transcript is often difficult.The first thing you can try is to send a Freedom of Information Act Request to the prosecutor's office who presented the case to the grand jury with as much information identifying the case as you have. You can ask for the contents of the file they have on the case as well as the grand jury transcript. If the case is no longer open then the prosecutor may not object to anything and just provide it for a nominal copying fee. Regardless, the file will have the name of the court reporter who transcribed the proceeding if there was one. It should also have enough information for you to identify the case and you can then contact the District Clerk of Courts and get a copy of their file as well if the prosecutor's file did not have the info you need. Open cases are generally not covered by a FOIA request. Also, if the prosecutor refuses to provide the transcript then you will have to petition the court to get a copy. That is because Federal Rule of Criminal Procedure 6(e)(6) states Records of federal grand jury proceedings remain confidential to the extent and as long as necessary to prevent the unauthorized disclosure of a matter occurring before a grand jury. A court is required to decide whether it is still "necessary" but I can't imagine it would be from back in 1993 unless the person was indicted and never arrested (for example, because they fled the country).