How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being sued by an out of state attorney in small claims

Customer Question

I am being sued by an out of state attorney in small claims for post-judgment fees. I have request that the attorney give me detail billing. I hired the attorney in 2011 to do change of custody and to modify an order. She went after child support and collect 8000k in attorney fees from my ex and i paid her over 7000k myself. I noticed the bills I received are different from the exhibits on court records. Not sure why she is still trying to collect another 2000k from me. I live in NC and the attorney is in MI. No money to go there. What should I do?
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: In Michigan small claims, state no attorney representing but the person suing me is an attorney.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: No the sums up my issue.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer,I am sorry to learn of this situation. Being sued while you are living out of state makes things very difficult. (Unfortunately if the services were performed in MI, the venue is appropriate (the Court has jurisdiction over the case) so the attorney is entitled to file their lawsuit in that court).If you cannot travel to court for the hearing (or if it is going to cost more to travel to court than it would to pay any potential judgment) it may make more sense to try to reach a settlement with the attorney - try to negotiate something and get a written settlement offer from them.You can also contact the MI Bar Association and file a grievance ( depending on the details of the situation. If requested in writing by the attorney and the client, the Grievance Administrator may assign a fee dispute to a volunteer attorney for arbitration. There is no fee for this service. However, the parties must agree that they will be bound by the arbitrator's decision.