Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

New owners do not want to honor a valid lease from the old

Customer Question

new owners do not want to honor a valid lease from the old owners. They told me they will double my rent for one office. I have two offices. The next option they gave me was to move out of those offices into smaller offices. The amount of money on the lease does not cover the space that I have. The lease I have is valid through to December 31 2016 with the two offices and the amount of footage listed.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no, I was told that I would receive free advice from my inquiry.
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best.
Customer: my lease from my old owner is valid until December 31, 016. The new owners do not want to accept the lease. They gave me three options 1. If I plan to keep the two offices my rent would double. 2 Desire me to move all my things into a completely different office 3 move into two smaller rooms in another part of the building.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I have been given a week to think about it. Meeting the head owner tomorrow 5 4 2016
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.Does the lease contain a provision for early termination?What reason does the new owner give for not recognizing the existing lease?
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Also, which state?
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Are you online with me?