Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

How long is a person responsible debt a spouse incurred

Customer Question

How long is a person responsible for a debt a spouse incurred (2004), after their death 1/1/2012? I was just made aware that my husband co-signed on a note for $76K in 2004.
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 7 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question. A surviving spouse may not be responsible at all for the debt of a deceased spouse depending upon the nature of the debt. If the debt was separate debt (rather than community or marital debt) the surviving spouse may not be liable at all. Since this was a co-signed debt it is very likely that it is not marital debt. However, under California law the Statute of Limitations for debt is four years. So no matter how you calculate this you are well beyond the statute of limitations. So you can nt be forced to pay this debt. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.Good luck,Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
5
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you.
Hello: By "5" is that your intended rating of my service? If so thank you very much. I do sincerely ***** ***** support. May I ask you to click on the five stars however so that the system records the rating? Kind regards,Gerald