Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Co sign on car loan JA: The Lawyer will need to help you

Customer Question

Co sign on car loan
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I have not yet
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I Co signed on a car for a friend , long story short they never paid on the car as well as wrecked it several times and I now have no idea where the car is or what condition it is in , I was wondering if there is a way to get out of the loan so they can not come after me to repay it
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..I was wondering if there is a way to get out of the loan so they can not come after me to repay it .I hate to tell you this, but that is the entire purpose of a co-signer...to pay the debt if the primary borrower defaults on the loan. So if they aren't paying, then the lender can come after you because you agreed to pay if they don't. The only way to avoid it would be to file bankruptcy if the lender sues you for the debt..'You can sue the friend for anything you might end up paying if you get sued, but that wouldn't prevent the lender from holding you liable initially..I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy.....thanksBarrister