Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
19127644

I am a bar owner and have recently terminated a bartender for

Customer Question

I am a bar owner and have recently terminated a bartender for not paying for 2 pizzas and 3 sodas for her daughter and proof thru cameras and register system to be true, along with 7 other reasons after several warnings. She is calling my customers telling false stories and reasons for her dismissal while I have said she's no longer with us to keep incident private. Her contacts are slamming me and current bartenders. Do I have a legal right or course of action to get her to stop before business lies hurt my business more? I'm in Illinois, and I'm a corporation. Thanks.
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 7 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for the information and your question. If this former employee is making false statements about you and/or your business, then that would be defamation. In that case, you might want to sit down with a local attorney who can either file suit for you or write a "cease and desist" letter to her to convince her to stop or face consequences (suit.) Of course, if she is making true statements, there would be no legal recourse. Also, you can make any statement about her that is true concerning her termination. However, you want to make sure you have evidence of the truth of the statement or she too could pursue defamation claims. Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating, I will receive credit for assisting you today. thank you
Hello again,I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 3rd. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have received neither. Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good.If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox. In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/Thank you.