Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My Question concerns the Americans with disabilities act. I

Customer Question

My Question concerns the Americans with disabilities act. I have parkinsons its probably still in stage 1. I was diagnosed in 2009 . Usually every morning when i take my meds it
takes about an hour for the meds to actually kick in and start working . Now the question
my wife took me to Walmart this morning she lets me walk in by myself as i don't need assistance to do this plus walking around the store i can get exercise . The problem is
when I check out because i tremble i am not able to use the automated registers so i have to have assistanse.I was informed today that to be able to check myself out like everyone else, I told her i couldn't because i had parkinsons she then told me i have seen you do it before and i then said if you had i only had 1 or 2 items or it was later in the day when my meds hada chance to work, This is the second time this has happened
I have talked to management about this but evidently it falls on deaf ears. Are they not
violating the American with disability act.Please advise me
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under the ADA, the store has to provide you reasonable access to services based on your disability. The store has to make the checkouts accessible to all including those with disabilities. In other words, the store has to make whatever accommodations are reasonable to allow all persons accessibility to the store and to check out. The store will argue that you can check out through a regular checkout and they do not need to incur additional substantial expenses to change their self checkout systems, but if those systems do not accommodate those with disabilities, then it can indeed violate the ADA and you would need to start pursuing this by contacting the US Department of Justice (https://www.justice.gov/crt/how-file-complaint) to see if they can assist. You can also get a disability law attorney and seek to use them to pursue the store for your rights to accessibility in the store pursuant to the ADA.