Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer

Husband and wife (married than 8 months) co-own a

Customer Question

husband and wife (married for less than 8 months) co-own a car together . Wife makes the monthly payments because she uses the car. Wife appears as co-signer. Husband has the good credit but wants a divorce and asks her to move out. Wife's income not enough to pay for apt and car. Wife wants out of the contract. Her credit is no good, she will use mother's car.
Can she get out of that contract and give him the car?
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that: (A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; (B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and (C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours. Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 months ago.
Wife can transfer her interest in the title to the car to husband; that is not a problem and it can be done for any sum that the two agree upon. But only the lender can release the wife from the note. Usually then lender has no incentive to do that; so the wife will remain on the hook for the car note until it is paid in full or until the husband applies for and gets a new loan on it in his own name.