Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I just had my California State Tax return intercepted by The

Customer Question

I just had my California State Tax return intercepted by The Toll Roads due to a judgement that I never received. The toll violations (68 in all ) were done by my daughter on a car I co-signed for and was also on title until Oct. 6, 2013 (I paid off the care to change title just for this reason).
They tell me now the total due is $7,739.93, less the $834 they took (now $6905.93).
Can I fight this somehow? I didn't drive the car and I did NOT received the judgments in the mail. Some of the toll violations came to my house, addressed to my daughter's name first so I forwarded them or returned (not at this address).
The Toll Road confirmed they sent most of the judgement information to my daughter's apartment.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Please be patient when waiting for a response. I may be looking something up, typing the response, or busy with something else and sometimes it takes a while to respond. You can fight it but you're going to need a lawyer to do it effectively. Your first argument that simply being a co-signer and co-owner doesn't make you liable. The statutes are actually written in such a way that it does, but you still want to make the argument. The next argument is that it is a Constitutional violation due to a lack of due process since you weren't informed and didn't have a chance to defend yourself. That one is more likely to work since it is correct but you still want to make both arguments. The lawyer will have to do some research and provide case law to support the claim but with any luck it will enable you to get that judgment off of your name and possibly get the amount lowered or even done away with since you should be able to get any late fees, etc. removed as a matter of course and then it is just a matter of fighting the initial ticket.