Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.

I paid my lawyer $4000 in retainer fees. She used only $2300.

Customer Question

I paid my lawyer $4000 in retainer fees. She used only $2300. Am I entitled to the unused money?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 5 months ago.
If you have a fee agreement for an hourly rate and the time spent did not equal the amount of the retainer, then you would be entitled to a refund. The fee was to be based upon a result, or the nature of the service to be rendered and not a specific billing criteria, then you might not. Hopefully you have an attorney-client contract written out and signed by the attorney which details how the charges are going to be assessed and how the retainer will be applied to them. I hope that this information is helpful.
Hello again. Please don't forget to enter a rating by clicking on one of the five boxes at the top of this reply. We are not employees of Just Answer, and only receive credit for assisting you when the rating is positive.