MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
89829185

I defaulted on multiple mortgages and they were all foreclosed.

Customer Question

I defaulted on multiple mortgages and they were all foreclosed. In 2007 I think, Then I found out years later that one of these cases was voluntarally dismissed, without prejudce. . Is there a statute of limitations on how long they have to refile foreclosure again? I found out I have many large judgement fro this and other properties. If i dont pay them, will they ever go away? or become legally uncollectable? They county code enforcement. has said its not fit to livei and will be demolished unless i do major work including rewiring. I homesteaded the house last year and did a lot of work then and paid backtaxes. I really need to find out where I stand legally before I put anymore Time or money in this. I am 65 years old and disabled on SSD.
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 7 months ago.
Hello. I am going to be assisting you with your question today. Please note: This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. The statute of limitations to re-file is 5 years. Judgements expire after 20 years typically, but this depends on the laws of the state you are in. You can also file for bankruptcy which will extinguish the judgments. Potentially, a judgment can effectively become permanent. That is because many states allow creditors to renew their judgments. That means that if a creditor gets a court order or files an affidavit or other document, it can renew the judgment for another cycle. In some states, creditors are allowed to renew a judgment once or twice. In others, there is no limit. I hope I have answered your questions. If I have not, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you may have. Also, please do not forget to rate my response at your earliest convenience. Thank you.