Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

MY WIFE AND I HAVE BEEN PAYING IN TO SOCIAL SECURITY SINCE

Customer Question

MY WIFE AND I HAVE BEEN PAYING IN TO SOCIAL SECURITY SINCE WE BOTH RETIRED. MY WIFE OVER THE PAST 8 PLUS YEARS AND ME OVER THE PAST 8 YEAR AS WELL.THERE HAS BEEN NO ADJUSTMENT TO OUR MONTH SOCIAL SECURITY CHECKS. WE WERE TOLD OVE A YEAR AGO THAT OUR ACCOUNT WOULD BE AUTOMATICALLY REVIED EVERY OCTOBER AND ADJUSTED ACCORDINGLY. THIS HAS NOT HAPPENED, THIS MAKES NO SNESE TO US.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Each year the SSA is supposed to review recipient earnings for the previous year and make adjustments to any SS retirement benefits earned by increased payments into SS. If this has not been done (you are correct it is supposed to be done automatically) then you need to call SSA and ask them to recalculate your benefits and it is supposed to be retroactive to January 1 of that year of benefits based on your previous year's additional contributions.