Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

My son was picked up in Kansas with marijuana held hours

Customer Question

my son was picked up in Kansas with marijuana held for 48 hours on April 7th. and released now he has a certified letter to be picked up at the post office should I pick it up? can they put a warrant out for his arrest in Illinois? what could the letter contain? Would I have to take him back to Kansas to appear in court ? should I ?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 5 months ago.
Hello, I'm afraid that the only way to know what is in the certified letter is to read it. There would be no reason, however, for Kansas to issue a warrant for him, unless your son missed his court date. Did he? Even if he did miss his court date in Kansas and Kansas issued a warrant, unless his Kansas matter was a felony, Kansas would not pay to extradite him from Illinois. That would mean there would be no reason for Illinois to pick him up and hold him for Kansas. If he did miss his court date and a warrant has issued, that warrant would not expire. And the only way to get rid of it would be for your son to return to Kansas and come before the judge who issued it and deal with his marijuana case. When he does come back, the judge could conceivably set bail on him to ensure his appearance, since he'd have proven himself to be a flight risk. That means if you send him back to appear, you should secure him representation as well so that a lawyer can make an argument for his continued liberty while he fights or disposes of his case.