Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
19127644

I worked husband and wife team past year...

Customer Question

Hi...i worked for a husband and wife team for the past year... They own 4 businesses.. I saw many people leave because of the wife...she is forgetful and blames you for things she never told u about....she changes her mind all the time and leaves notes about things you've done....i was their star employee until recently... This started happening to me...she accused me of several things i did not do.....then i found out from a text of hers that she has MS and her brain lesions are kicking her butt. . she admitted being a lousy boss and admitted she was forgetful and thanked me for patience and understanding....so i stayed after prefacing this discussion with I'm giving my notice....
Not a week later....same stuff started happening again...out of concern for her and my job which i loved...i brought this to the attention of my other boss who has been kinder than kind to me...its not easy talking to your boss about his wife.. But i felt like he should know why theres a revolving door of employees and i was hoping he would listen and not want to lose me... He took 4 days to respond and he only did then because i contacted him...basically he defended his wife...even about situations he knew nothing about...I have texts with her accepting blame while her husband is blaming me....i had no choice but to leave this situation but i feel its completely unfair..
What r my rights in a situation like this...we have no HR dept....we live in the same town...know the same people....i do not want my character defammed in any way....
I want my job and want to be treated fairly....***** *****dled this as a husband...not as a boss...he was far from impartial
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 7 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for the information, although I am a bit unclear about what rights you are asking about. From my understanding you quit your job and were not terminated. However, even if you had been terminated, since NH is, like most states, an employment "at will" state, the employer could have let you go for any, or no, reason and with no notice or warning unless doing so would violate a written employment contract or was motivated by your gender, race, national origin, age (over 40), religion, disability, pregnancy, or military service. Therefore, there would be no basis to get your job back or no law that the employer violated either by supporting his wife, despite her poor management and people skills, unless you fell within the two exceptions that I mentioned. If you believe a written contract was violated or you were treated in a severely harassing way because you are a member of one of the groups I mentioned, then you should sit down with a local employment law attorney and discuss your case in detail to see if they think you would have any success either being rehired under your terms or filing a discrimination case. Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you