Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I was involved in a scam. I was sent a check that I didn't

Customer Question

I was involved in a scam. I was sent a check that I didn't think would clear the bank. The check showed cleared and I went to bank to transfer some funds and ask if that checked cleared. The vice president of the bank and the clerk worked together to transfer the funds. Well several days later the deposited check bounce and the bank took $9900. dollars out of my account. I was kinda told since I had been a member of the bank they paid me out of courtesy on the check. I think since I ask if that check had cleared and was told yes and it showed cleared on my on line banking the bank should be responsible for telling me it cleared. I have written two letters to Bank of America with no reply. Just stone walling me. Advice on what I should do.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Please be patient when waiting for a response. I may be looking something up, typing the response, or busy with something else and sometimes it takes a while to respond. Unfortunately, this is a pretty common scam and in every case I've seen the bank wins due to the wording of their contract with the account holder.You can certainly hire a lawyer and attempt to make the argument that the burden is on them since they represented that the "check had cleared" but you're going to have to spend some money on attorney's fees and your chances aren't terrific. you could try and pursue the scammers but they are almost certainly not in this country and even if they were they will have shut down shop and moved.