Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.

A car registered to the deceased but paid us. The deased

Customer Question

A car registered to the deceased but paid for by us. The deased ask us to buy a car in her name because she could not afford a car payment at that time. We agreed (she was considered our non biological daughter), we traded in a car, put a $1000 down payment and for one and a half years made payments, paid the insurance and registered the car. She died aug. 2016. The car went into the estate, can we claim the .ten thousand dollars we paid into the car. The estate is in ma and we live in fl
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 5 months ago.
If you did not intend the car or the payments to be a gift, you may be able to file a claim in the estate as a creditor for what you paid for the car. If the estate is valuing the car at $25,000 against a $15,000 loan, it would seem that the estate could sell the car andpay back some of your money. Your remedy should lie in the sale of the car, rather than taking over that loan which you may not be able to afford now. I hope that this answer is helpful and that you will give it a positive rating.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do I file a claim against the estate from fl to ma
I will be happy to provide telephone consultation, but there appears to be a problem with your payment for this service. Try calling customer service at(###) ###-####or(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Your payment has already cleared my account. What is the problem
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't think I got mt monies worth. I annotate give you a good rating, also I may ask for half of my money back
Hello again. Some of your recent posts are a little confusing. You have not rated my Answer yet. Are you still requesting information about your estate claim? Do you care if it comes by telephone (that is an extra charge) or through this question-and-answer format? Please let me know how you wish to proceed. Irwin
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not by telephone
Okay. That's not a problem. One of your concerns was how to file a claim in Massachusetts when you live in Florida . Claims in probate court are routinely filed by mail. Many courts provide claim forms. If you tell me the name of the court or the estate is pending I will try to get you the form and directions on how to file it. Now I am not saying that your filing will be timely or that you will not have to go to court to testify in Massachusetts eventually. The only thing I would ask of you is that you submit a positive rating for my answer at this point. That way I know that we are on the same page. With what you are asking for.