Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
92304199

I got married to a girl in Venezuela before I was divorced

Customer Question

I got married to a girl in Venezuela before I was divorced from my wife in florida
we have been together twenty five years
I lied on the papers to bring her to the USA
and now i would like to get out of the marriage
What are my options
we have no children
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 7 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can. Since you were still married at the time of your marriage in Venezuela your second marriage would automatically be void – which effectively means you were not actually married to that second girl. Does that make sense? My goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied before you submit your rating so please let me know if you have additional questions or you need me to clarify anything. If there is a delay in the time it takes me to respond it is because I am working with a customer or I am not online - but rest assured I will respond to your follow up question, if you have one. Also, I am on a mobile unit, which automatically asks you to submit a rating once I submit a response – but please don't feel like you need to do so until we are done speaking.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What about all thge years we have been to gether
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The girl I am with from Venezuela is asking for a divorce
She thinks the marrige is good
Is she in Venezuela or is she here? You can approach it in a couple of different ways… You either can tell her you knew you were married when you marry her – which could have all sorts of ramifications - or you could tell her that you didn't realize when you married her that you were still married – which is lying if you knew. You'll have to decide what the best approach is for you, but if you were still married to the other woman when you married her your marriage is void. I hope that makes sense. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or you need me to clarify anything. I would be happy to do so. If you are satisfied with the assistance you have received could you please take a moment to submit a rating. Otherwise I do not receive any credit for working with you. That doesn't mean we have to stop speaking or anything like that.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She is in florida and she has been acting as my wife for years
filed taxes together etc. Drivers licence in my last name
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you in florida or some where else
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
– which could have all sorts of ramifications {What would these be if I lied}
I dont want to hurt her
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do I need a florida lawyer for this problem?
If you end up hiring an attorney, you will need one in Florida.
Do you have a marriage license - were you able to secure one at any point. I'm assuming you don't but let me know if you do. That would affect things.
I wanted to check in with you to make sure you had all of the information you wanted to obtain when you posted your question. Please let me know if you DO have all of the information you need; please also let me know if you have any questions or need additional clarification about anything.