Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs

My significant other was in a county jail in . He was transported

Customer Question

My significant other was in a county jail in KY. He was transported to another county in KY due to a court date. Is it legal for all his personal letters and pictures to come to my address which is not his address on file?The letters and pictures where from other woman, obviously not me. This has created a problem at home. My question is was this legal to disperse his personal belongings out to an address which was not what he had listed as his forwarding address?
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..If you are asking if it is a violation of a law in KY for the jail to mail his personal items to your home, then the answer is no. They would have had to obtain the address from him or somewhere else in his records in order to know where to send the items. .If the items were mailed addressed to him at your address, then legally he is the only person who can open the mail. So if you opened his mail without his consent, technically that is a violation of federal postal laws.....I realize this is a delicate situation, but there was no law violated on the part of the jail and this might be a fortunate mistake because now you know that he may not consider you an exclusive couple....thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Actually they put all the letters in one manilla envelope addressed to me. Also, all the letters were already opened and the pictures were wrapped in just a piece of white paper not even in an envelope.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
So ultimately, the first county facility did nothing wrong by sending open letters and pictures to my address?
That is unusual why they would send the items addressed to you as they would have to have gotten your name and address from someone, possibly him.. I can't see why he would do this, as it doesn't make sense..But ultimately, there is nothing illegal about mailing personal property to someone other than the owner and only the owner (i.e. him) would have grounds to complain about it and seek some type of disciplinary action against whoever mailed it if they intentionally mailed it to you to make sure you knew about what what going on with him...,However, as the recipient, you wouldn't have any legal standing to object to this, only he would...thanksBarrister