Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I work in a child care center in Idaho. My daughter

Customer Question

I work in a child care center in Idaho. My daughter is 13 months old and attends at the same center. She and I both became very ill just 3 days after I started working there. When I told them she had a fever of 102 and needed to stay home one more day they said no. Then she was having trouble breathing and hiking and wheezing one day a week later. My work declined my request to take her to her doctor even though both of her teachers expressed to the supervisors that she is ill and needs to be home and see a doctor. This continued for a month. Finally in the 4th week of her being ill she had to go to the ER. That day my work told me I have until 3pm to get there and could not go due to her being so sick. We did not get home from the hospital until 2am, they had told me she has pneumonia and needs to stay home for at least the next 2 days. I sent my work the note from the doctor stating that. The last day of that 2 days, her temperature went up to 106 degrees and she was then admitted to the hospital and hooked up to an IV. The doctors stated had I been allowed to take her to the dr in the previous weeks they could've treated this and prevented the pneumonia. They also made me come in and bring her when she was still in the contagious phase of pink eye which I was concerned for the other children and employees with that. Do I have a case for a lawsuit for her getting so sick and being hospitalized because they would not allow me to get her the medical attention she needed?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 months ago.
I am a bit confused. Why would a child care center not allow you to take your child to a doctor? Why did you not ignore them and take your child to the doctor? I just do not understand your child's relationship with the center and why the center would interfere in your parental responsibilities to seek medical care for your child. Kindly clarify. Thank you for your cooperation,