Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I have a very close friend who just lost her parther

Customer Question

hello i have a very close friend who just lost her parther of 20 years yet was not legally married between the both of them they produce ownership of two car.s and jewelry and now the famly of her parther is wishing two lay cliam to it what can she do so that everything can legally be her.s
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. Common law marriage is not allowed/legal in the state of New York, so she wouldn't have a claim to any property owned by her partner UNLESS she was a joint owner. She wold own 1/2 of anything she owned with her partner.....and the other 1/2 would be transferred to his heirs at law.
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.
Also, your friend could own the entire property IF they held it as joint tenants with full rights of survivorship (she would acquire 100% ownership by living longer than her partner). Thus, your friend would need to gather all information on all property owned together, and see if it was held as joint tenants or not.......any property not held in a joint tenancy would be divided equally between the owners.