How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33473
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my ex-girlfriend moves out of my house when I was not home

Customer Question

If my ex-girlfriend moves out of my house when I was not home and breaks my Samsung Galaxy phone, and steals $100 dollars in cash from me. Do I have a viable case?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 9 months ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to helpAlso, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen. Sorry...what do you mean by "viable case"?Are you planning to sue her?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can I pursue being reimbursed for my galaxy note phone. This was done after I was taken from my home by the police for a domestic dispute. When I returned my phone was destroyed and $100 dollars in cash taken from my house.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 9 months ago.
Thank youYou can...that is, what you are describing is a crime. And you can pursue compensation.A few ways to proceed. You can contact local police and ask the to prosecute the case. Again, this is a crime and the police have jurisdiction to prosecute the case. However, police have discretion (they are not required to investigate any particular complaint) if the police will not take the case, consider suing her to recover the money. You can use small claims court for this. Small claims is a true "peoples court". The formal rules of evidence and procedure do not apply. So you can represent yourself (no need to hire a lawyer). The process is simple enough. You head to the county court (the county where she now lives) and talk to the clerk of the court. They can get you the forms needed to start. You file the claim, serve a copy on the defendant and wait for your day in court. In court, be prepared to tell the judge what happened, and bring in copies of any evidence that supports your case. IF there are witnesses who can testify about what happened? Have them come as well. Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.