Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I over drew on unemployment. They say I owe them 8000. Is there

Customer Question

I over drew on unemployment. They say I owe them 8000. Is there any way I can seldom to pay less. Was sick and trying to work.had just lost my mom.I need advise.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, while the director of unemployment may waive penalties, they cannot waive interest or money due. So you can negotiate a payment plan with them to try to repay in reasonable payments, but they are not going to waive the money you collected that you should not have collected.
You have to file a written appeal to them and explain the significant financial hardship and inability to repay and explain that your collection was inadvertent and not intentional and ask the director to waive the penalties and offer a reasonable monthly repayment plan for you to repay the over payment.