Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

Just looking up information about police harassment. Lately

Customer Question

just looking up information about police harassment. Lately it seems as though everytime a police officer sees my car they pull me over, with some made up excuse and bother me for a little bit and let me go without a ticket. I live in a very small town and they obviously know me and my vehicle and its to the point where i dread leaving my home worrying that one day they may actually harm me.
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 7 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question. This is fairly typical behavior by law enforcement when they have someone on their radar that they suspect of criminal activity (often low level drugs). They keep stopping you hoping that they will have cause to detain you and search your vehicle to find something that they can detain you for. This is a very difficult problem because it is so hard to prove that they are engaging in harassing behavior intentionally. First basic principles for you to follow: 1) Do NOT give them any cause to arrest you. Be polite and civil. Rememebr that you have the right to remain silent. This means that you do not have to answer questions. BUT you do need to respond. Do not take the bait with them - be polite and civil. 2) Start keeping records of every interaction. Date Time Reason for pulling you over, name of officer. Don't write this doen in front of them. Wait until they leave or until you are at a safe location. 3) Contact a local civil rights attorney about initiating steps to put this to a stop. This link can assist in finding a local civil rights attorney: http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/practicestate/civil-rights/california This link has useful information as well:https://oag.ca.gov/civil/sections/policemis I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday. Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.Good luck. Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing. Kind regards,Gerald
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was renting a room up until a few months ago to a man who actually drove one of the sheriffs cars into the lake. That man is no longer renting from me and is actually in prison now, but I have never given them any reason to believe i am involved in any type of illegal activities. In all honesty, the only time I leave my home is to go grocery shopping or to gas station and occasionally the post office. They ask me random questions as if they are trying to pump me for information, and I am very familiar with my rights and I have even denied them to search my vehicle when they have asked. A few days ago, I was sitting in my car waiting to give an elder woman a ride eating some soup she brought out to me and a sheriff drove by, saw my car and within two minutes it came back with a second vehicle with two officers and they started to inspect my car as if I had stole it. This is the same vehicle I have been driving and owned the past two years since I moved to this town, the same vehicle they have stopped me in numerous times and they know it is mine. I just dont understand why they would be doing this to me and I feel like it wont be long til they force me out of my vehicle, because as easy as it is to tell me to be polite and civil, I am very frustrated along with a ton of other emotions from them wasting my time. There has been people being found dead here and they should be investing their time into that rather then disturbing the quality of my life. Is there anything else that you would suggest I do or dont do? Possibly file a complaint with the local sheriff department??
Hello: Thank you for the additional information and excellent follow up question. You stated the reason in your first sentence: "I was renting a room up until a few months ago to a man who actually drove one of the sheriffs cars into the lake."They believe that you had some sort of connection over and above being a landlord. Because he disrespected them by driving the car into the lake they think they are getting even by harassing you. The only way you are going to get this to stop is have an attorney help you. An attorney can meet witht he sheriff's office and get these officers off your back by 1) explaining the real relationship yo had with your tenant and 2) threatening litigation f they do not stop. Doing this yourself will not work. For some reason they never take an individual seriously until they have an attorney. I know that the thought of spending money to have your basic rights respected is frustrating. BUT sometimes it is the only way we have to protect ourselves. Please use the link that I provided to find yourself a local civil rights attorney. Most will not charge you for the first consultation and if we are lucky a letter or two and a phone call or meeting will put an end to this for you. I hope this additional information is helpful to you.Kind regards,Gerald (Please do not forget to rate me – click the five stars. It adds nothing additional to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.)