Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

I am 71, my wife is 65. We are both on social security. She

Customer Question

I am 71, my wife is 65. We are both on social security. She has been working part time and due to health reasons I am unable to work. She really needs to quit he job for many reasons. We have much debt and are barely getting by at this time. Short falls every month. We can not file chapter seven but was wondering if we should file chapter thirteen.
Just need to know if our social security checks are in jeopardy of being garnished.
Thank You
Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today. No they cannot garnish social security for credit card debts including a judgment.It is protected by law you are safe from that problem.You may consider filing bankruptcy here , as a long term means to get them off your back.But creditors cannot touch your social security here at all. I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.
Expert:  Ray replied 5 months ago.
Reference Thanks again if you can positive rate it is always much appreciated.