Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

If an attorney receives a check from an insurance company of

Customer Question

if an attorney receives a check from an insurance company of behalf of a client and doesn't release it to his client. should it be in an escrow account. it has been 18 months and she is destirute
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 11 months ago.
Hi, I'm Heather S, an attorney with 15 years practice experience, and I can assist you with your question for informational purposes; but we do not form an attorney/client relationship. That is extremely frustrating that the attorney is not releasing the funds. I cannot say what her reason is, but based on the facts you have stated, the attorney should be holding the funds in an escrow account and should release the funds according to her contract with the client. The rule that speaks of holding the funds in the escrow account is here: http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/204/chapter81/s1.15.html Let me know if I was of assistance.